What You Need To Know: Twitter Lead Generation Cards

Filed in News, Social Media by on June 6, 2013 2 Comments

The low-down on lead generation.

Twitter Cards are now an expected feature in the Twitter experience and are already a powerful tool for marketers and advertisers, but Twitter recently revealed bigger plans than just content-rich tweets. Heard of Lead Generation Cards? They fall into the same suite of features that reveal additional information for users when they "expand" a tweet, but, instead of just showing more content, they give users the option to easily share information with the advertiser. In other words, imagine a streamlined user sign-up page embedded within a tweet.
Lead Generation Cards

Users will be able to automatically send their personal information to brands. No muss, no fuss. Image courtesy of Twitter.

According to the Twitter Advertising Blog, the inspiration for the Lead Generation Cards came from two simple requests from marketers: help generating leads and selling products within Twitter. ConversionThe real marketing benefit of this tool will be the elimination of barriers between brands and customers. Instead of depending upon a potential customer to see a tweet, click a link, fill out a form, and press the send button, users will be able to automatically relay their information to a brand without any additional hassle. The personal information attached to the user's Twitter account will be sent, which means the user will not need to fill out any form at all. This new capability could be a major aid in converting a potential retweet or favorite into a purchase.

Potential roadblocks still a concern.

At this point, the capability is limited to a handful of "managed" brands, but will be released to smaller brands in the future. It is also unclear as to whether the capability will be released for all users or just for paying advertisers. These unanswered questions are raising concerns for Frans Van Hulle at Digiday about the potential efficacy of the cards. For example, if marketers tweet the card to their followers, will they see much benefit from gaining the personal information of those already invested enough to follow their brand? Also, will the data transfer between the user, Twitter, and advertiser work smoothly? Users can already customize a variety of cards, such as product cards, video player cards, photo cards, and app summary cards by adding meta information to the HTML on their website. After the information is added to the site, Twitter must validate the metadata before the card will properly display.
Lead Generation Cards have not been widely released yet, but Ideahaus will keep you updated as they become available.
How much do you think the cards will enhance your Twitter calls-to-action?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author ()

Evan is the Ideahaus Community Staff Writer.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Cathy says:

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *